The 3 T’sHave I ever told you about the lens of Chiropractic? D.D Palmer is the founder of Chiropractic and posed this question, ” If one man is sick and his associate (spouse, family member, coworker) who shares the same work space and eats at the same table is not sick, why did this man escape the various diseases? Meaning, why the heck did one person not get sick when the other person did? They are both exposed to the same bugs in the environment and the same air, but the cause of disease is not the bugs in the environment its actually the susceptibility of the host. Long story short, medical doctors are concerned about the bugs in the environment and chiropractors are concerned with the health of the host. As a chiropractor I recognize that there are 3 stressors that negatively affect the body and nervous system: thoughts, traumas, and toxins. Pretty neat way to view our bodies and our health, don’t you think? During this uncertain time, we have so many new stressors put on our nervous system. You find yourself trying to be the best to be mom, teacher, cook, cleaner, and spouse. Sound familiar? You notice an increase in sugar and stress, while also having a decrease in Vitamin D, movement, and healthy foods. When our nervous system cannot adapt to the increase in stress we start to see an increase in sickness, mood changes, anxiety, sensory issues, ear infections, and sleep issues. Let’s think about this. If you are out hiking and a bear pops out of the woods and starts chasing you – are you going to be worried about kicking your cold, getting rid of that headache, digesting your food, or reducing your anxiety? Heck no! You are going to be focused on one thing: SURVIVAL. That’s exactly what every day stress does to us. We accumulate so much stress every day that our nervous system believes every situation is the bear chasing us. Here are some of our tips to reduce that quarantine stress:
- Move your body every day. Be intentional with your movement – set aside 30 mins per day to MOVE.
- Drink that H2O. Drinking half your body weight in water each day will help you flush out those toxins and keep your body hydrated.
- Supplement for the lack of sunshine if you aren’t already with QUALITY supplements. For the love of all things Holy please do not get your supplements from Amazon. Get them from a health care provider to ensure quality and clean sources. We recommend Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Multivitamin, Probiotics, and local Elderberry. We carry these in office year round :)
- Be present. Put down the phone a little earlier, spend a little more time being present with those kiddos, get off of social media, and focus on that breathing.
- Get adjusted! Research shows that Chiropractic adjustments stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system which allows us to rest, digest, grow, heal, and adapt! Pretty cool huh?